Moving can be a stressful process, but with a great checklist, you'll be well-prepared and organized for a successful move. Here's a comprehensive moving checklist to help ensure your move is as smooth and stress-free as possible (printable version at the bottom of this page):
2 Months Before Moving Day:
- Research moving companies and get quotes from at least three different movers.
- Check with your employer if they have any relocation benefits that could help with the moving process.
- Create a moving binder or folder to keep track of important documents related to your move.
- Sort through your belongings and decide what you want to keep, donate, or sell.
- Plan a yard sale or donate unwanted items to charity.
- Make arrangements for storage if necessary.
- If you have kids, start researching schools in your new area.
6 Weeks Before Moving Day:
- Book your preferred moving company and schedule the move date.
- Notify your landlord or property manager of your move-out date.
- Start gathering moving supplies such as boxes, packing tape, markers, bubble wrap, and newspaper.
- Begin packing non-essential items such as seasonal clothing, books, and decor.
- Label boxes with the contents and the room they will go in.
- Contact your utility providers to arrange for the disconnection and reconnection of services in your new home.
- Update your address with the post office, banks, credit cards, and other important accounts.
- Notify your doctor, dentist, and other healthcare providers of your move.
4 Weeks Before Moving Day:
- Confirm the details with your moving company and review the contract.
- Start packing items that you use less frequently.
- Make arrangements for the transportation of your pets and plants.
- Arrange for cleaning services for your current home and your new home.
- Arrange for childcare or pet-sitting services on moving day.
- Confirm that all necessary documents, such as insurance policies and medical records, have been transferred to your new address.
2 Weeks Before Moving Day:
- Finish packing all non-essential items.
- Confirm the details of your move with your moving company, including the arrival time and the number of movers who will be present.
- Make arrangements for the disconnection and reconnection of cable and internet services.
- Dispose of hazardous materials such as paint, chemicals, and propane tanks.
- Confirm the delivery of your new home's keys.
1 Week Before Moving Day:
- Pack an essentials box with items you'll need right away at your new home, such as toiletries, clothes, and kitchen essentials.
- Confirm the moving day details with your family and friends who are helping you move.
- Prepare and label any items that require special handling or that you will be transporting yourself.
- Take apart any large furniture that you're moving and wrap it in plastic wrap to protect it during the move.
- Confirm the payment details with your moving company.
- Walk through your home one last time to ensure nothing is left behind.
- Check your inventory list and make sure all items are accounted for.
- Direct the movers to where the boxes should go in your new home.
- After everything has been unloaded, do a final check of your new home to make sure everything is in good condition.
- Unpack your essentials box and start settling in.
To Download a printable version of this checklist, click here.
We hope you’ll find the information helpful as you progress towards your move. If we can be of assistance at any point along the way, please give us a call at 615-685-0238.